A place where lazy bloggers can come and feel better about themselves. The rest of you are welcome too.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shells of frou frou

Finances in our house have been quite strained with Jules having been out of work for three weeks, and it's got me thinking about how I can best contribute (you know, besides that little job I have of looking after our darling boy all day and all night).

I've given myself 2 months to get van Rose (my kids' clothes business) properly off the ground. In these 8 weeks, I want to get the jackets in shops and get another big commission.

If I can't make it happen, then it's back to the office I go... but the clothes are what I really, really want to do. It's great motivation!

I need samples to take into the shops. I've whipped up a few shells - my lovely mum has done a few for me too, thanks mum! - and now I'm onto the finishing details.

On these two I'm going to add (more) interest with a few bits of handsewing in some of the spots on the, um, spotty one, and some applique on the lining of the 'people' one:
 

 


This just needs some topstitching and buttons:
 


This one is the bane of my life! I've been working on it forever. The armsyces have been a total and utter nightmare because the black and white fabric frays easily. I'll keep persevering though - I'm very happy with how the felt hearts look and, anyway, I've put in so much time now, what's a bit more?
 



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These wee jackets are fantastic. I wish you all the best, you truly deserve that big break.

Megan Rose said...

Shucks Max, that's very lovely of you to say. You wouldn't happen to own a kids' clothes store would you?!

Anonymous said...

Oh those are gorgeous. You are so clever! I hope it works out for you. I'm sure it will.

I love spots and stripes and checks. I often wear polka dots myself even though I am really rather old for them. But I don't care, spots always make me feel happy.

Good luck!

Nikki Elisabeth said...

See Wanda Harland in Petone - do you read Martha's blog?

Ermmm... Beckon in Willis.

Ummm.. Juniper?

I wanted to open a kiddo shop. Cloth nappy shop mainly. I totally would have stocked your stuff!

Megan Rose said...

RB - Thank you! And lovely to see you over this way again.

Nikki - I do read Martha's blog and I LOVE it! She's so blimin clever. I keep meaning to pop out and see her but I haven't made it yet. Once I have the samples finished though, she'll be one of the first people I call on.

Lots of people have told me about Juniper - how could I have missed what sounds like such a fab shop for so long? I'm going to investigate them this week...

Nikki Elisabeth said...

www.junipergallery.blogspot.com - Now you don't even have to leave your seat ;)

Megan Rose said...

Oh you're so good. I've had a look through the blog - so many pretty pictures - and now I am determined to get there sometime this week. I'll keep you updated!