A place where lazy bloggers can come and feel better about themselves. The rest of you are welcome too.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Procrastination: not exactly frou frou but it's a great way to spend time

I really am determined to get my clothes into shop in the next 8 weeks buuuuuuuuuut it's surprising the number of things that suddenly have to get done first. Like a skirt that I've been working on for a while now. Oh yes, it urgently needs to be finished because...um...well...

So, anyway, I'm putting together the lining for this skirt and I decide that, instead of boring old flat, zigzagged seams (no overlocker/serger yet, gosh darn it!), I want to try zigzagging and then flat felling (a type of handstitching) the seam. Then my machine goes and does this:

Anyone able to translate?

The book that comes with my machine has illustrations about the tension (the most logical explanation for the mess above) but they look like this:


Hrrrmm. Nothing like what my machine has done...

3 comments:

kimberlee said...

lol
the other day, I had some sewing that looked like that so I am no help at all
-kimberlee

AMCSviatko said...

No idea but my failsafe approach to any wierd sewing stuff is:

1. Check the top is threaded correctly (and that the thread coming out of the reel hasn't wrapped around itselfor accidently got somewhere it shouldn't be)

then

2. Pull out your bobbin and check the tension (by holding it by the thread and giving your hand a sharp jerk). About 1-2 cm of thread should wind out. If you get heaps more or none at all adjust the bobbin tension with the small screw on the side - moving it a very small amount and doing the test again)

otherwise

3. Give up!

Megan Rose said...

Good work Shopping Sherpa! After a little time out (for the skirt, not me. Well, a little bit for me and a little bit for the skirt), I went back to the machine today, took out the bobbin, gave the cotton a sharp jerk, then the machine went like a dream. You'd never have thought anything was wrong by the way it sewed today.