A place where lazy bloggers can come and feel better about themselves. The rest of you are welcome too.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Frockish frou frou

I've been working solidly to get little V's dress to the point where we can have a fitting. It's in two parts for the fitting - there would be tears if I had tackled attaching the skirt just to have to undo it all again to make it fit!




I really love the colour combination and I think it works with the 50s silloutte buuuuuuuuut there seems to be a little something missing. I haven't quite put my finger on what it is yet.


I think it has to do with the sash. My first thought was to go with the pink silk - the colour is beautifully vibrant, has a lovely texture and drape, plus the pink matches the pink stripe perfectly - but I'm tempted to experiment with other options too. I'm considering this silver/pink ribbon but, eh, it's not grabbing me.


V's mum asked for the dress to have sleeves. I've made a frilly capped sleeve - they should be nice and airy in the hot summer sun, and I think they fit with the overall feel of the dress. I had to hand hem the edges - it took me forever but the result made the work well worth it.


I don't like to use traditional interfacing techniques. I think those little bits of material look cheap and I'm not convinced they work very well. Instead I make double of the piece that will have interfacing and use that as the interfacing. Hrrmmm, not explained very well I'm afraid... Anyway, I use this bigger interfacing to cover all the seams too so the finished item is satisfyingly tidy.

On this dress, I've also doubled the closing so that the two pieces overlap instead of just meeting. I think I'll add two rows of pearl buttons down the back.


I figure that the guests will probably spend a lot of time looking at the kids' backs during the ceremony so I want to add something interesting for them to look at.

For once I'm getting out of my sewing room for an afternoon - I'm having sushi with the lovely Dr Phil Wise. Hopefully we'll be able to eat outside to make the most of this stunning weather!

No comments: