A place where lazy bloggers can come and feel better about themselves. The rest of you are welcome too.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Notes to self

Having gained some confidence after Martha started stocking my clothes, I want to get my clothes into a shop in central Wellington before we head down south.

I was walking along Lambton Quay tonight and spotted a brand-new baby clothes store had opened in the Old Bank Building, so I popped in to check them out.

They had loads of pretty things and good trade considering they've only been going 2 weeks.

I started to chat to the owner and mentioned that I make kids' clothes, and before I knew it, I was sounding like a complete tosser. I was all 'couture' this, and 'handcrafted' that. Gah! And I was wearing my full-on vintage leather coat and vintage fur collar*, so god only knows what sort of snob/wierdo she thought I was.

Having had my sense of shame (mostly) removed when I had a baby, I'm probably still going to go back in there with my clothes.

I'm happy to say that this episode of 'Megan talks herself out of an income' was preceeded by a coffee with my darling friend Judith, and followed by noodles and a drink with the fabulous Phil. A great, baby-free evening.

*don't bother sending me hate mail about wearing fur please; the animal this particular fur is from died in the early 20th century, and, anyway, I was vegetarian for about 12 years so I've done my time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done you! You just have to get out there, It is hard sometimes. Jannelle / Heart Felt / www.teatodtoad.typepad.com

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Oh yay!

TBH - I think the owner of that store is quite receptive to that kind of approach. Apparently Tobin served her at NZ Post and talked about me and he came away with a business card to pass on. Now if that ain't putting yourself out there, I don't know what is! So take your stuff in. If you need moral support, I can join you.

xox